Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Cultivate a good life // Begin with the End in Mind

Part of cultivating a good life is to Begin with the End in Mind.This is one of the Seven habits of highly effective people that I wanted to acculturate this year.


(Begin with the End in Mind in action - this was us, setting a goal to climb the stairs from G to 18th floor every morning. It might seem ambitious in the beginning but after awhile it has become habit and it wasn't so bad. I like!)

' Begin with the End in Mind' really helps me with my one little word this year - FOCUS .

Buy things with a purpose

I have always been an impluse buyer for the longest time. I usually buy stuffs just because they are pretty. I seldom think about the 'why'. As the result of that, I have accumulated a lot of stuffs that I don't use and some of them are without a home. So this year I decided to be more selective with my purchases and only buy them with a purpose in mind. Begin with the end in mind has helped me to be more focus in my buying process. If I cannot find the purpose or the objective for the purchase than I am not going to buy them especially when it comes to planner, stationaries and clothing. (the danger is I can always find a purpose if I really want to... hehehe )

Start a project with an objective

After reading Getting Things Done and 7 Habits of Highly Effective People books I am more aware of what is a project and the importance of setting  goals for that project before doing any actionable tasks. I still have a lot to learn when it comes to setting goals and have a clear picture before starting any project especially a personal project like decorate a room, spring cleaning, project life album and project lean and slim. I am hoping that Begin with the End in Mind habit can help me focus and breakdown the project into manageable tasks.

Start the day with a plan

I like setting goals and to do list on a daily basis. It gives me a sense of direction on how my day is going to be like. This is where my planner play a role in helping me set a goal for the day. I used my daily planner to map out the day so that I know what to expect. The challenge for me at the moment is to plan my weekend. I usually have a problem planning my weekend because it involves other family member agenda. I need to work on that. Having a family mission statement suggested in the 7 Habits book should help me to plan my weekend a little bit better

Identify what's important and do that first

When it comes to identify what's important I know in my heart what is important like my health, my relationship with Allah, friends and family. The challenge that I am facing daily is to put the important things first instead of focusing on urgent stuffs.
Begin with the end in mind is knowing what is important and set time and goal to achieve them.Doing most of the important stuffs in my Morning Routine can really help me to cross of my important to do list earlier in the morning like recite Quran, exercise, call my dad, menu planning and reading.

Set a simple goal to achieve today

I am not going to lie, I tend to get overboard when it comes to setting goals and making lists. It can get overwhelmed if I am not careful. It is imperative for me to be selective with my daily goals. Ever since I started setting up my planners I realizes that when I put important things in my planner a head of time, my brain magically remember what I need to do for the day. Keeping things simple and focus to at least 3 goals/habits helps me to achive them. Putting reciting Quran first, read at least 10 pages of a book I am currently reading and drink 3 liter of water daily are among the habits that I set for myself to achieve daily.

Without Begin with the End in Mind habit I am not able to get things done especially when it comes to to important things. 

Next, comes putting First Things First habit which is more challenging than Begin with the End in Mind because putting important things first you need to have a plan.

"Be Creative, Show up and Focus on what's important"

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...