Wednesday, July 20, 2016

5 lessons I learned from Seven Habits of Highly Effective People


I have read this book many years ago when I was a young executive and a young mother trying to make sense of everything. Back then life was so much simple, internet was just started and a lot of people were still scared of computer. The was relevant to my work life and my home life.

Eighteen years later, the world has changed and evolved from Industrial worker to information and knowledge worker, I decided to read Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey again and listen to the audiobook to see if the principle still relevant. Wow! I felt like reading the book for the first time. I've forgotten some of the things I learned in the book and some habits become more clear and more relevant now.


These are five lessons that I learned from the book

1. All seven habits are connected to each other
Before you can master habit Think Win/Win you need to master Habit 1, Habit 2 and Habit 3 . It took a proactive person to begin everything with the end in mind and to know the art of putting first thing first. 

2. These are what Islam has taught us for centuries
We were taught that the purpose of our lives is to worship Allah, nothing less and nothing more. (Begin with the End in Mind). In order to do so we have to Be Proactive, do things that get us closer to Allah. Put First thing first is also the principle that was taught to us, every little things like wudu, there are rules and order that we have to follow. Reading this book has definitely make me closer and closer to Allah. Alhamdulillah

3. I understand Synergy better
Back then I was not so sure what Synergy really means. What does it mean by the sum is greater than it's individual part? Now I understand, synergy is celebrating our differences, work together as a team and finding a new and better ways of doing things. This definitely a habit that I would like to improve on.

4. I understand the important of Emotional Bank Account
I totally forgot about the emotional bank account. I am not the kind of person who can easily deposit to emotional bank account. I really need to improve the skill and technique to do so. The more you deposit into the Emotional bank account of that person the more easier it is to implement the Seven habits.

5. Seek first to understand, then to be understood
I think this habit is one of the hardest habit for me. Understanding other people is not an easy thing for me to do because I always feel misunderstood most of the time. I have a lot of internal issues that I need to resolve. By reading this book I have a better understanding about myself and all of the things that I need to do to improve and be a better person. 

If you have not read the book or have read the book years ago, I highly recommend that you read this book again. This book might change your life!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...