Monday, March 28, 2016

Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter // book review

It's long over due. I wanted to read this book late last year but somehow I just did not get around to it. This is definitely the best book I have ever read in 2016.



What the book is about?
"Sisters. Strangers. Survivors.

More than twenty years ago, Claire and Lydia’s teenaged sister Julia vanished without a trace. The two women have not spoken since, and now their lives could not be more different. Claire is the glamorous trophy wife of an Atlanta millionaire. Lydia, a single mother, dates an ex-con and struggles to make ends meet. But neither has recovered from the horror and heartbreak of their shared loss—a devastating wound that's cruelly ripped open when Claire's husband is killed.

The disappearance of a teenage girl and the murder of a middle-aged man, almost a quarter-century apart: what could connect them? Forming a wary truce, the surviving sisters look to the past to find the truth, unearthing the secrets that destroyed their family all those years ago . . . and uncovering the possibility of redemption, and revenge, where they least expect it.

Powerful, poignant, and utterly gripping, packed with indelible characters and unforgettable twists, Pretty Girls is a masterful novel from one of the finest writers working today." 
excerpt from amazon.com

What do I think?
1. Definitely one of my favorite books of 2016. This book definitely made me love Karin Slaugher writing more and more
2. The story was told in the perspective of the victim's family. How the tragedy affected all of them even after twenty years.  It feels so sad and scary at the same time
3. I like that she include the father's perspective after loosing a child and not knowing what happened
4. I totally did not expect the twist and turn of the story. I really love when a writer surprised me like that. I did not see that coming.
5. The scene when the two sisters found her lost sister's remains was one of the saddest part for me. It's so heart ranching and sad at the same time.

I highly recommend this book for anybody who loves crime/thriller genre. I also recommend the audiobook.. Well narrated and I can feel the father's pain every time I read his letter to Julia.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...