Friday, February 12, 2016

Lets talk about Planners

When I was organizing my office for the new year I came across an old planner that I used religiously for five years from late 1999 until early 2005. It was a Timesystem. Amazingly when I look up on the internet, the company and the system still exists.

Back then all you need is A5 binder, a pencil ( we were taught to use pencil not pen), a daily inserts for the year and you are good to go. I basically carry this planner every where I went.


You basically map out your month and your year base on this system. I think we are supposed to use activities checklist to jot down all the things that need doing.


I was a young executive hungry for life. Juggling married life, a career and a mother of two was tough. This planner really help a lot. Then in 2005 we have problem maintaining the system because the inserts was too expensive me. I tried using the system with printable from Microsoft Outlook but it just wasn't the same. In the end, I only used my Microsoft Outlook calendar and a notebook as my so call planner.


So as all people that has gone digital, I have managed my life and my day by using only digital calendar like Microsoft outlook and now google calendar. That only solve one part of the whole binder system. I am missing something.

But then in late 2014 I stumbled upon youtube videos about planners when I was searching for organisation tips. Suddenly a whole new world is open up to me. I have never heard about Erin Condren Life Planner, Kikki K planner, Filofax planner and many more. It's like whole new world out there waiting for me to explore.


The journey so far has been amazing. I have bought lots of planners, stickers, washi tapes. pens, color pencils and meet a lot of friends through planner community in Malaysia. One thing is for sure it got me to write again including starting to journal. 

I couldn't be more happy to report that after a year keeping track of the planner world and community I realised that I love have a binder system with me again. I might not make my planner pretty with lots of washi, stickers and things like that but I still take the time to draw, color and doodle in my planner. There are nothing like having a pen and paper to write on. A computer definitely cannot replace that feeling.


I might not stop buying planners and try them out but I am sure that this quest will go on for a long time. I am not sure if I will implement TimeSystem again but with all the inserts I can create and print at home, I might give the system a chance again. I wonder if the system changed in the last ten years!

I guess once a planner girl, always a planner girl

"Be Creative, Show up and Focus on what's important"

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...