Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Write a letter to my dear son

onelittleword2014


Wow! It has really been a long time since the last time I wrote a letter. I am not sure where to begin. Writing a letter felt so personal and emotional. Last week I read about Ali's letter to her children and it was very powerful and moving. I am thinking of writing them a notes in a dedicated journal for each child. Maybe when they get married I will hand them the journal. Or maybe I will send email to them on a weekly basis, documenting their lives from my perspective as a mother and about life in general. I am not sure yet which approach will be more simple for me. I may have to experiment a little and see what works.

For today entry I would like to document about what happened last night at home with my dear Hanif.

thestoryofyou
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dear Hanif,
Being a kid in the 21st century isn't easy. There are too many distraction and too many gadgets at your disposal. And as a mother and as a parent, it is easier to hand you the iPhone or the iPad as a distraction. I realised that too much gadget is not good for your development. So when I saw you picked up a colour pen and started scribbling on a drawing paper, I was so excited. I felt like you have master a motor skill to hold a pen and control the movement of a pen on a piece of paper. It is a big accomplishment. You were so mesmerise by the process that you don't even notice I was holding a camera and snapping photos of you. Moments like this are so precious to capture and document because some day your drawing or handwriting won't look like this.

After a few minutes of scribbling with various colours and pens on the paper, you changed course and started to scribble on the floor. I took your hand and gave you a fresh sheet of paper and told you to scribble on the paper instead. You started to scribble again on the paper happily. But after a while and when I wasn't looking, you hold the pink colour pen and started to scribble on your feet, your hands and all over your clothing. Oh boy! It looked like you were having so much fun. I hand you the paper again and asked you to write on the paper but you immediately refused. You started crying. I let you do what you want and at the same time trying to negotiate with you to write on the paper. You started screaming and shaking your head.

I immediately knew that you were tired, you wanted to stop but you didn't know how. So I put away the pens and papers and I held you in my arms and started nursing. You begin to calm down and slowly getting sleepy.

I really enjoyed this intimate and special moment that we shared together while nursing. I know that it doesn't last long and before I know it, you will be in school and worrying about your next exam. Time does fly faster that I would have like but for this moment, I am enjoying it even though I may feel tired all the time. 

I love you to the moon and back

Love 
Emak
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

Fitri said...

Assalamualaikum,

I'm Muhammad Fitri from liquidthread. I have send you a email regarding invitation to participate in LetterForThefuture campaign by AIA.

Big hope that you will response to my email.

Thank you

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...