Thursday, October 18, 2012

Expressing milk for beginner

Going back to work after a long maternity leave can be a stressful time especially for a mother who wants to continue breastfeeding the little one.
 expressmilk
I have been successfully continue the breastfeeding journey with my previous two kids for two years after I went back to work. At that time they were two months old when I have to go back to work. It was definitely challenging and it really takes a lot of planning and effort on my part.
So as a supporter to breastfeeding and attachment parenting , I am here to share with you a few tips I’ve learned and implemented over the years, for those who are willing to go the extra mile to make breastfeeding works, when going back to work;
Express your milk at least three weeks earlier
Expressed milk can be store at least 3 months in a freezer of two door refrigerator. So there is no harm in keeping your milk supply to be use when you start working.
This was my schedule:
I expressed at least one bottle of 4oz milk once a day.
I expressed early in the morning when my baby is still sleeping.
I do it every morning from Monday to Friday.
By the end of three weeks, I have 15 bottles in the freezer.
mybfbaby
Always express your milk before nursing your baby
I’ve made a mistake of expressing milk after my baby nurse. You can do this if your goal is to increase your milk supply but never to store. Every time I express milk after my baby nurse I will only get about 1 or 2 oz and this will really make me anxious about milk supply. So I never do that.
I found out that if I express milk before my baby nurse, I will have one bottle full of milk and I still have enough for my baby.
Never ever think that you don’t have enough milk
Thinking positive is half the battle. When I had my first born, I always thought that I don’t have enough milk, my baby didn’t want to nurse and my baby was always hungry. All of that was true just because I believed it.
When I had my second baby, I decided I wanted to breastfeed my baby for two years and there’s no other milk in the market that is as good as my milk. True enough, when I chance my thoughts and my believe, I have enough milk for my baby.
When you are at work, express your milk
How often depends on how old is your baby. For my previous two babies I pumped at least every two to three hours for 10 minutes each just to make sure my body won’t shut down production. And when my baby is getting a little bit older, I pumped at least once every four hours.
Know the basic
When handling express milk you have to know a few basic so that you are confident to giving the next best thing to your baby. Here are a few things you must know by heart.
  • Wash your hand before handling the pumping equipment
  • Store milk in a smaller bottle (4 oz) to avoid wastage.
  • Never keep unfinished milk
  • Leave some room at the top of the bottle to allow for expansion when the milk freeze
  • Label date and time. You want to use the oldest milk you have in storage first ( first in first out concept)
  • Milk place in room temperature can last between 4 to 6 hours
  • Milk store in a refrigerator can last up to 3 to 5 days
  • Milk store in a freezer withe two doors refrigerator can last between 3 to 4 months
  • Milk store in a deep freezer can last up to 6 months
I hope these tips will help you to keep breastfeeding going even when you started going back to work.
Do you continue breastfeeding when you go back to work?
Does your office support breastfeeding mother?
Do you have any problem expressing milk at work?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...