Friday, August 10, 2012

Help! My baby doesn’t want to take bottle

My baby is already three months now and he really enjoy life at home with me constantly on call when he is hungry. I am approaching the big day (the day I have to go to work and leave him) way too fast than I would have like. So naturally I have expressed breast milk in storage but him to take while I am at work.

IMG_4818A

Since early this month I have been trying to get Hanif to take my express milk in a bottle. Sometimes he took it and most of the time he will screamed refusing to take the bottle. Usually Avent bottle doesn’t cause this problem for my other kids, but somehow Hanif doesn’t really like the teat.

I am worry if he doesn’t want milk in other form except me. Giving a baby milk in a cup is going to be so much trouble for the care taker. I frantically search the internet ways to handle this situation.

Here are some of the tips I found around the internet which recommended by most mom

#1) Switch the bottle or rather the teat. Most of the suggestion is to use Tommee Tippee Close to Nature which they say can prevent nipple confusion for baby.

“Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature 5oz Bottle is intuitively designed for easier and more natural feeding. The unique, natural shaped nipple mimics the natural feel, flex and movement of breastfeeding, similar to mum's own natural feeding action. The super-sensitive anti-colic, anti-gas valve helps reduce gas and colic when feeding. All features combined provide baby the most natural alternative to breast feeding and allows mum to successfully combine breast and bottle feeding.” excerpt from product description at amazon.com

#2) Have someone else give the bottle. This is a really good advice which I have tried with my previous kids and it works. This time around I only have my teenage son to help me with this but he doesn’t really have the patient for it.

#3) Don’t give the bottle when the baby is upset. Introduce the bottle when he is happy and let him play with it for awhile.

#4) No mother in the house. Apparently the baby can smell or sense if his mother is near by.
I really have to be strong and leave the house during this proses. Hopefully  this will work

#5) Get him used to the idea of taking the express milk in the bottle at least once a day during the time you usually be absence.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

From now until October I am going to make it my mission to ease Hanif into taking milk in a bottle. Hopefully he will learn to accept that sometimes mommy may not be around to provide food.

2 comments:

Noor Aznimm said...

Kak nizah, my baby smp skrg xmau bottle. Dh tukar mcm2 bottles & teats. U name it, i have it! Dh blh buat muzium pn. Paed even gave teat they use for prem babies which is very soft (do u want to try this teat? I can give it to you). Still he refused. So i have to feed him b4 work & go to nursery during lunchtime to feed him EVERYDAY. Blk pn nak cepat je bcoz sian kt dia lapar. he's 6 mnths now & starts eating ady (tu pun mula2 susah nk bg mkn) but i still hv to go and feed him during lunchtime. But at least xde la dia lapar sgt sementara nk tunggu tgh hr. If i nk pergi outstation or just a meeting in kl, i have to bring him along (and my mom to babysit him). I truly feel u :)

Noor Aznimm said...

Kak nizah, my baby smp skrg xmau bottle. Dh tukar mcm2 bottles & teats. U name it, i have it! Dh blh buat muzium pn. Paed even gave teat they use for prem babies which is very soft (do u want to try this teat? I can give it to you). Still he refused. So i have to feed him b4 work & go to nursery during lunchtime to feed him EVERYDAY. Blk pn nak cepat je bcoz sian kt dia lapar. he's 6 mnths now & starts eating ady (tu pun mula2 susah nk bg mkn) but i still hv to go and feed him during lunchtime. But at least xde la dia lapar sgt sementara nk tunggu tgh hr. If i nk pergi outstation or just a meeting in kl, i have to bring him along (and my mom to babysit him). I truly feel u :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...