Thursday, August 16, 2012

5 things I’ve learned from the happiest baby guide to great sleep

When I heard that Dr Harvey Karp has a new book coming up called the Happiest Baby Guide to Great Sleep, I could not be more excited. This book comes at the right time for me because my baby is graduating from forth trimester.
I really really love this book. I highly recommend it to parents with kids age zero to five years. I've tried the 5's for the first three months of my baby’s life and it really works . Now my baby is approaching 4 months and the calming reflex is fading away. What next?
This book has the answer. The book is divided into three parts: Sleeping guide for newborn, for three to twelve months and one to five years. You can just read the part where it's relevant to you but it helps a lot if you are familiar with 5S.
coffeShopVelvet
5 things that I've learn from this book
#1. Swaddling is still the best tool for sleeping at night. When I swaddle him, he knows that bed time is coming. This usually calms him down.
#2. White noise is amazingly effective in putting my baby to sleep either during the day or at night. Currently I am using baby shusher apps for iphone.
#3. Putting my baby to sleep at about the same time every night really helps him to settle down faster and sleep longer
#4. I am no longer afraid to put down my baby on his crib after he falls asleep because I know that if he wakes up, he will go back to sleep on his own
#5. I put loveys in his bed to keep him company. If he wakes up in the morning he rarely cry. He usually will make cooing sound, which I find very cute
I haven't try reading to him yet, but sometimes I recite surahs to him before his bed time with white noise in the background. That helps to settle him down.

a little facts about my baby
Age: 3 months and 3 weeks
Familiar with: 5S approach
Swaddle: since the day of birth until now
5S technique he loves: swing and shushing sound
      He only suck when nursing, doesn’t like pacifier.
      And now he is sucking his hand when ever he can
Sleep in : his crib. He only sleep with me when he wakes up around 4:00am to nurse
Duration of sleep: has increased from 3 hours straight to 5 or 6 hours straight at night when he reached 3 months

If you buy only one book this year, let this be the one. It really helps a lot not only it will help your baby to sleep longer at night, it will also help you to sleep longer.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...