Tuesday, May 22, 2012

10 things // how I made breastfeeding possible

I have been supporting mother's milk ever since my second born. I was really committed to the idea of giving the best for my baby.  I’ve been researching and learning everything I can about breastfeeding since 1999. So far I am very happy that  I’ve managed to breastfeed my second and third child for two years. It wasn’t easy. It takes a lot of commitment and a lot of love to make it work especially when you are working full time and your baby was 3 months old.
So today I would like to share 10 things // how  I made breastfeeding possible. Hope this will help new mothers commit to giving mother’s milk because it can be done.
Just me, him and Tuesday morning
#1) I believe I can breastfeed. I believe I have enough milk for my baby
Positive attitude is the first thing that you must have when it comes to breastfeeding. Like people always said, if you believe you don’t have enough milk , you are right and if you believe you have enough milk, you are right too.
So never come into breastfeeding game with a negative attitude.
#2) I start breastfeeding as soon as possible. At least 3 to 4 hours after labour.
It is very important to establish the relationship early on before you feel your first '”let down”. It takes different kind of skill sucking on a breast compare to bottles.
#3) I don’t buy any bottles or any infant formula
So there’s no temptation to give my baby different kind of milk
Little one
#4) I eat nutrition food and drink lots of water
It is very important to keep yourself hydrate during this critical time. This definitely will help with milk supply and also help you feel much more energetic. Believe me when I tell you breastfeeding is hard work. You really have to take care of yourself.
#5) I don’t put my baby on any schedule. Nurse on demand or if my baby sleep for longer period of time, I nurse him every two or three  hours.
#6) I educate myself about breastfeeding. It might be the most natural thing in the world but it doesn’t come easily. Breastfeeding takes practice and a lot of support from family member.
Tidur ke tak ni?
#7) When it is time for me to go back to work, I invest in a good breast pump to help increase my milk supply and to give them to my baby. I’ve been using Avent Breastpump since the last 13 years and I think I will stick to that brand.
#8) Before going to work, I usually start keeping supply at least one week before I have to go to work. Usually I express the milk before I nurse. This definitely will increase the demand.
#9) I don’t give my baby other than breast milk. If I want to introduce bottle to him, I usually ask other member of the family to give the bottle. This is the only way I can think of to reduce the nipple confusion. So far it works for me.
Untitled
#10)  I enjoy the intimate bonding that I have with my baby. It just me and him. So I like to talk to him or recite surahs to him during nursing. This will help me relax and have a joyful experience with my baby.

1 comment:

armouris said...

terjumpa e-book percuma ni, tentang menyusu dalam bahasa Melayu … sharing is caring :) - Buku Menyusu Dengan Yakin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...